Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fear of the unknown

So I'm knitting Punkin's baptismal gown from KnitPicks Comfy Sport in white and I'm really liking it.  It's super duper soft to the touch, has great stitch definition, and is machine washable and dryable.  Even in December, Ms. Pie runs warm, so wool was out of the question.  The softness + easy care of Comfy Sport is basically the definition of baby yarn.  However, it's 75% pima cotton, 25% acrylic: does that composition make sense for lace knitting?  It did in my brain when I was purchasing the yarn, but the longer I knit with it, the more skeptical I get.  The unknown is getting to me.  My biggest fear is blocking...  
-- Blocking is essential for lace shaping.
-- I've never truly blocked anything.
-- Acrylic, a 25% share of the yarn, doesn't block. 


It's a little late to switch to something else:
I've completed 3.5 pattern repeats of an intended 4.5, with several very long breaks in progress. Heck, I might even go until 5.5 if I've got the yarn for it (the extra .5 is part of the pattern).


Oooh, maybe I'll do the sleeves, then return to the skirt and use up all the yarn...



No comments: