Wednesday, January 25, 2012

FO: Toddler Flashdance

Shoulda: written the pattern post for the Anne KATMs (one and two)
Woulda: done some knitting on a sock weight slouchy hat
Coulda: gone to bed early for some much needed sleep

But no.  I'm writing this.  Here are some legwarmers, yo.
 
Happy Legs [Rav link], a free pattern by Dani Sunshine; knit with less than a skein of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK in 18019 Dark Blue

I began these as an alternative travel knitting project when carting around The Socks almost begat disaster.  The first legwarmer was knit over two months of my team's weekly meetings (my coworkers are highly unfazed by this); the second one was started and finished in two days, because it was cold outside and I was determined that my daughter needed to wear a dress to a party.


I went down a needle size from the pattern suggestion (US3 rather than US4) because yarn was at a premium, my tension is generally pretty loose, and the girl child is pretty teensy for her age.  As it was, I still had a good amount of yarn when I was finished.

There are generous sizing options available, so you can recreate Flashdance with kids up to 12 years of age.  I love the texture of the broken rib with just about every fabric pattern pairing I've seen. They also look nice over bebe pants that continue to fit at the waist while becoming increasingly capri-esque in the length.
Thing 1 and Thing 2 don't match each other exactly, but they work perfectly well for my purposes.  Punkin's teacher at childcare paid me such a nice compliment: "Wow, you made those? They look just like real store-bought ones!"

No comments: