Monday, May 7, 2012

Wool and Sheep! Sheep and Wool!

Did you know that the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival was this past weekend?  I was not aware that it was happening until, oh, Friday... when my husband suggested we go check it out.

Let me repeat.
My husband.  Had this idea.  To have all three of us go.  To MSWF.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was my Mothers Day present.  <3  
DAFI Alpacas make kids happy.

We went for the last hour or so on the last day, but there was still a lot to see.  There were sheep, naturally, and OH the wool.  Seeing all the fiber made me want to learn to spin; even Sammy got mesmerized by a spinning demonstration.  Punkin Q. Pie only had eyes for a loudly baaing BFL.

Walking around all the vendors was a bit daunting for me; there was a very large amount of beautiful stuff, but I still had the distinct feeling that I could take it or leave it.  There was some picking up of skeins and an equal amount of putting them back.  I had expected to feel, you know, "the power of yarn compels you!" or some such similar sensation.

Then I turned a corner and my eyes fell immediately on the Spirit Trail Fiberworks booth -- scads of deep rich colorways hanging beneath three or four heavenly shawls floating overhead.  No gasps, no stopping for pictures.  Just an immediate BEELINE.

So I can haz a yarn:

This is Nona, in a special colorway called Bacchus -- lots of grape-y purples and greens, soooo gorgeous.  Also, it's 50% Merino, 25% Cashmere, 25% Bombyx Silk; I couldn't stop petting it.  Also also, it's laceweight, so I've got like 640 yards of the stuff.

Then we went and got ice cream.  It was a wonderful afternoon.  :)

2 comments:

Pumpkin said...

You have no idea how jealous I am that you were able to go! You also definitely have the best husband ever for suggesting you go. I love the yarn you picked out, it is lovely. I also totally understand what you mean by being a little "meh" by some of the sellers, not all indie sellers are good. Also, too much choice is sometimes a bad thing. As a spinner, a gathering like that is even more fun. I'm also so impressed that you only got away with one skein! Woah!

Lynn said...

Very special yarn- double very special husband and ice cream too?- sounds like the perfect day.